Monday, December 15, 2008

I never wanted to be a sysadmin anyway. I wanted to be... a lumberjack!

Ok, time for me to stop slacking and get up my inaugural post here at The Cookieville Minimum-Security Orphanarium (As much as I like the name, I'm quite sure I will never not acronym-ify that ever again).

I've been on-and-off blogging since before it was called blogging actually, my first site going up back in 1999. In my day we didn't have this fancy Blogger or Wordpress, we manually updated static HTML pages! And we liked it! (not really.) Alas, these horribly amaturish scribblings are lost to the void, victim of a failed hard drive and a nonexistant backup strategy (the old adage is true: There are two types of people: Those who've experienced a severe loss of data, and those who will) . That happened in roughly 2003, after I'd moved on to a local Typepad install. After that I had nothing for awhile, then started running Wordpress, briefly blogger, then back to Wordpress again, beginning in late 2005. These archives live on at my personal site.

Alas, I'm clearly not very disciplined at this hear blogging thing, hence the on-again-off-again format changing trip I've taken with the medium. I've always sort of figured I'd be better with a group blog. Now one person doesn't have to carry all the weight, so less chance of burnout. Also, with multiple posters the site can stay fresh while people, now freed from the tyranny of needing to stay current, have the time to put together something worthwhile. Looks like here's the place where I get to see how this works in practice.

I suppose since at the moment my only readership are those who know me, there's not much of a need for a bio. In case there actually is someone interested in a short one, you can see it at the aformentioned personal site. I suppose one might say I'm an IT guy who tempermentally probably should have been some sort of a liberal arts major, who sort of fell into this accidentally for various reasons I won't go into here, and wound up being lucky enough to have a bit of a knack for it. Don't get me wrong, I like the work, and I'm a tech nerd at heart, but if I had to live only in that world I'd go crazy. So hopefully this will serve as an outlet for the other stuff I think about, though tech issues will surely be a topic too.

I think that about sums it up. Thanks to jdb for putting this altogether, recruiting the posters, and gracing me with admin-level access. Onward.

2 comments:

jdb said...

I prefer just "The Orphanarium" for short. Me and my predilection for long winded blog titles. Damnit.

Ricky Domingo said...

jdb: I'm sticking with TCMSO, pronounced The Orphanarium.